Sunday, June 8, 2008

D.O.C. Pizzeria

Address: 295 Drummond St, 3053 Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Phone: +61 03 93472998

I have been looking for a place where to eat a Italian like pizza instead of the common sweet and small pizza that you can easily find in restaurant. After a talk with some friends here that just got to visit their relatives I found a place in Lygon sun by Italians that make pizza in the way I know it.....
The place is D.O.C. Pizza and it is located at the corner Drummond St. and Faraday St. From the outside the place is really not attractive if compared with many other crowded restaurant in Lygon, but if you love pizzas you really have to try this. D.O.C. pizza does not make any reservation than you just have to show up and hope there's a free spot... We hoped and got the seat at 7:30 when the restaurant started to fill - up.

Whenever I go to a restaurant which make pizzas and I always look at the menu to see which kind of pizzas they offer... especially if they claim to be "original Italians"... and most of the time I find some strange pizzas that nothing have to do with the Italian way of doing it... and a lot of bacon..... :-). This time I happily discovered that the ingredients and the components were the right ones and no exotic flavors were offered. I got a Pizza Parma and my flatmate Chrisy got a Pizza Margherita.... two really classic kinds of pizzas... Pizza Parma is basically a pizza with tomato, mozzarella di bufala, and Parma ham... the pizza was slightly salty but definitely great and Italian like.... Margherita is basically made by tomato, oregano, and mozzarella... even this one was good... For while it seemed to me to get back to an Italian pizzeria.....
The prize?... here comes the hard note.... for two pizzas and two soft drinks (juice and coke) we spent 43.50 dollars. That is for a dinner mostly reasonable but higher than any other place I've been... my pizza was big and was 22.50 dollars while my friend's pizza was 14 dollars... Will I go back? definitely yes!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

D.O.C. probably has the best margherita pizza I've ever eaten! On my next visit I noticed that the pizzas were a bit too salty, but I'll still be back for more. :-)

HAPPY HOURS said...

Hi Nice blog. I visited Melbourne recently and had some great good experiences.

Thought I'd share with you my degustation meal at chef Michael Lambie's Taxi Restaurant in Fed Square
http://goodfood65.blogspot.com/2008/03/7-course-degustation-menu-taxi.html

David Barrett said...

They are undoubtedly good pizzas but when you consider on t'other side of the world at http://francomanca.co.uk/ in Brixton, London you can get the most authentic Italain pizza for seven quid, that just over 10 bux, you begin to realise just how much Melbourne's cafes & restaurants are screwing us. Don't get me started on poached eggs.